A Brief History
The Western Suburbs Lawn Tennis Association was founded in late 1912 and is one of Sydney's most historic tennis clubs. The club featured prominently on the Australian circuit and its members included many famous players over the years.
Throughout the 1920s and 1930s the club featured at the very centre of the Australian tennis circuit.
Beginning with the "County of Cumberland" tournament, which was the mainstay of the Australian tennis circuit, the club hosted many important events and produced champions from the very beginning.
The famous grass courts are still in use today and have continued to produce great players.
Image: Daphne Akhurst
Five times Australian Champion
Names such as Daphne Akhurst, James "J.O." Anderson, Louie Bickerton, Nina Vickery, Harry Hopman and the world No.1 Jack Crawford were all familiar faces at the club as it hosted Australian championships, and other notable events.
Club members accrued both Davis Cup and Grand Slam wins including Wimbledon, French, US and Australian championships in singles, doubles and mixed doubles.
From the first tournament in 1912, the club featured at the centre of Australian tennis.